City of Dallas Audits of Mixed Beverage Sales

This one is a little deep and very technical.

In a nutshell, any business in the City of Dallas which sells mixed beverages must report on a quarterly basis its gross revenue for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

This is completely separate from the State of Texas TABC 75/25 rule regarding sales. In fact, many businesses not covered by the State's rules are covered by the City's rules.

Each business owner is required to submit an affidavit agreeing to the acceptance of these rules and to providing the reports on a quarterly basis upon demand by the City.

The State's definition of mixed beverages (TABC rules) are the standard guideline -

(A) Each individual serving of an alcoholic beverage and the price charged.

When using service checks, it is permissible to make one entry on a service check for more than one individual serving if all of the servings are of the same type (e.g., 3 Scotch & Water @ $2.00 = $6.00).

If all of the servings are not of the same type, a separate entry must be made on the service check for each type of service (e.g., 3 Scotch & Water @ $2.00 = $6.00, 2 Rum & Coke @ $2.00 = $4.00).

When using a cash register only, regardless of the type of service, each individual serving must be rung up separately.

When using a combination of service checks and a cash register, it is not necessary to itemize each serving on the cash register tape if all the required information is shown on the service check.

Dallas Development Code

51A-1.104 Certificate of Occupancy

Article 1 General Provisions / Paragraph 4, subsection 4

(4) Any person applying for a certificate of occupancy for an establishment that will sell or serve alcoholic beverages as defined in the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code must file an affidavit with the building official stating whether the establishment will derive 75 percent or more of its gross quarterly (three-month) revenue from the sale of alcoholic beverages for on-premise consumption.

Any person owning or operating an establishment that sells or serves alcoholic beverages shall, upon request, supply the building official with any records needed to document the percentage of gross revenue on a quarterly (three-month) basis derived from the sale of alcoholic beverages.

Dallas Development Code

Article IV Zoning Regulations

51A-4.2000 - Use Regulations

51A 42.210 Retail and Personal Service Uses

Paragraph 4, Subparagraph (A), Subparagraph (i)

Definitions - Alcoholic Beverage Establishments

BAR, LOUNGE OR TAVERN means an establishment principally for the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the premises that derives 75 percent or more of its gross revenue on a quarterly (three-month) basis from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages, as defined in the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Code, for on-premise consumption.

By Avi S. Adelman under Public safety , Legal issues